Sunday, August 12, 2012

Neolithic sites – or in other words: really old places

It was really interesting to see some Neolithic (very old) sites at Orkney and to imagine what it would have been like to live back then.

Skara Brae is probably the best preserved Neolithic village. You can see what their houses were like, and I’d love to be able to go back in time and just see people going about their daily life in that era, although I’m glad that I didn’t live then – I like our modern comforts.


The Broch of Gurness is actually from the Iron Age (thanks Wikipedia for telling me that!), so it’s not Neolithic, it’s a bit more recent – about 2000 years old. Again it’s just fascinating to see these places and to think that 2000 years ago there was people here in the same place as me, seeing and touching the same stones.


These standing stones are a part of the Ring of Brodgar, a big circle of standing stones. They are also from the Neolithic area, before there was any machinery and it makes you wonder how they managed to move these stones about and put them in place. Theories about, but no-one really knows.


This huge stone really dwarfs me and must weigh a ton!


No comments: